Church History

CHURCH HISTORY

PROVIDENCE CHURCH HISTORY (1925-2009)

On April 11, 1925, Reverend Nasceas Lunford, our late organizer and pastor, began Providence Missionary Baptist Church in his home at 3016 South Prairie Avenue, Chicago, IL. The presiding ministers were Reverend Lunford and the late Reverend T.E. Brown of Progressive Missionary Baptist Church. There were five chartered members: Sisters Ella Lunford, Georgia Johnson, Estelle Carpenter and Rosie Johnson; and Brother Andrew Johnson. The first service was conducted at 2717 South State Street on Easter Sunday morning in 1925. The late Reverend J.L. Townsend preached the first sermon.

The church purchased a small house at 3227 South Prairie in November 1925 to be converted into a lovely sanctuary for worship. Pastor Lunford and a faithful, determined membership labored to improve that property. Espousing their dedication, Pastor Lunford served eight years without a salary.

In May 1948, the church was destroyed by fire. Services were thus conducted in the gymnasium of Hartzell Methodist Church at 3000 South Prairie Avenue. Providence continued services there until the church building was rebuilt in September 1957. After 32 years in a single location, Providence relocated to 858 West 62nd Street. The church remained there for ten years. On April 7, 1968, Providence moved to its present location: 8401 South Ashland Avenue.

Our beloved organizer and pastor served at this location for three years. On June 16, 1972, Pastor Lunford went home to be with the Lord. Toward the end of his ministry, Pastor Lunford appointed Reverend William Franklin Fristoe as pastor of the Providence M.B. Church to continue God’s work. On December 30, 1972, the Providence membership elected Reverend William F. Fristoe as its second pastor.

Through Pastor Fristoe’s spiritual leadership and guidance, God continued to shower Providence with His rich and bountiful blessings. The church grew to over 2000 members. The Christian Education Department, Missionary Department, Evangelistic Outreach, Bible classes, prayer services, social services, auxiliaries, membership, and church personnel continued to grow and expand.

ate organizer and pastor, began Providence Missionary Baptist Church in his home at 3016 South Prairie Avenue, Chicago, IL. The presiding ministers were Reverend Lunford and the late Reverend T.E. Brown of Progressive Missionary Baptist Church. There were five chartered members: Sisters Ella Lunford, Georgia Johnson, Estelle Our beloved organizer and pastor served at this location for three years. On June 16, 1972, Pastor Lunford went home to be with the Lord. Toward the end of his ministry, Pastor Lunford appointed Reverend William Franklin Fristoe as pastor of the Providence M.B. Church to continue God’s work. On December 30, 1972, the Providence membership elected Reverend William F. Fristoe as its second pastor.

Through Pastor Fristoe’s spiritual leadership and guidance, God continued to shower Providence with His rich and bountiful blessings. The church grew to over 2000 members. The Christian Education Department, Missionary Department, Evangelistic Outreach, Bible classes, prayer services, social services, auxiliaries, membership, and church personnel continued to grow and expand.

On September 26, 1976, the final mortgage on the church was paid. On June 1, 1980, the church purchased property at 8445 South Ashland Avenue, and on March 23, 1990, the congregation walked to the newly renovated Providence Annex for its official opening. Pastor Fristoe’s dream had been realized and manifested on 84th Street. The Christian Education Department and Sunday School now enjoyed spacious rooms for their various classes. The beautiful banquet facility is frequently booked by those inside and outside of the community.

Reverend William F. Fristoe announced his retirement as Pastor of Providence after 27 years of dedicated service. Today he continues to serve faithfully under the pastorship of Reverend Dr. William H. Foster, Jr.

The third and newly elected pastor of Providence Missionary Baptist Church is the Reverend Dr. William H. Foster, Jr., installed on February 27, 2000. Pastor Foster continues the vision of this great church with a variety of innovative ministries directed at meeting the needs of the people. Wherever Dr. Foster is, his love for people radiates. He never fails to answer sick calls and give special attention to the elderly and bereaved. He is committed to leading God’s people with a godly vision.

Pastor Foster continues to move the church forward. Tithes, offerings, and the membership have increased. He has organized the Providence Divorce Care, Community Development Corporation, Nutrition & Fitness, Pastor’s Assistance, Singles, and Grief ministries, and reestablished the Women’s Fellowship, Youth Mentor, Praise Team, and full-time Biblical Counseling ministries. Pastor has appointed new deacons, a new Superintendent of Sunday School, and a Director of Christian Education.

Providence remains actively involved with District, State, and National affiliates. Pastor Foster strives to move his sheep to a higher level of Christian education. Our educational activities continue to be certified by our educational affiliates: the Sunday School Publishing Board, Baptist General State of Illinois Congress of Christian Education, and the National Baptist Congress of Christian Education.

A debt free church was one of Pastor Foster’s visions. This vision was fulfilled on Friday, February 23, 2001, when the mortgage on the Annex was paid in full. The celebration took place on February 25, 2001, with a mortgage burning ceremony and dinner. The baptistery was refurbished and several properties have been purchased in light of Pastor’s vision for expansion.

As our Pastor stands with us on the foundation, which is Christ; is committed to meeting the needs of people; endorses our mission: “A Christ-Centered Church, Where Unity and the Love of Christ Abide;” and preaches and teaches the Word of God; we are blessed.

  • Church Info

    Providence Missionary Baptist Church

    8401 South Ashland
    Chicago, IL 60620
    (773) 238-5831

    pmbc@providencechicago.org
    Click here for directions

     

    Sunday Services
    9:30 am Sunday School for All
    9:30 am New Members Class
    11:00 am Morning Worship Service

    Weekly Bible Study
    Thursday Mornings at 09:30 am
    Thursday Evenings at 7:00 pm

    Communion
    1st Sunday

    Pastor

    William H Foster Jr.